Il mio stato
VISA SERVICES - obtaining consular visas
Visa in a single and collective passport. Information on the existing regulations and the formalities required to obtain a consular visa
visti consolari roma +39 - Phone/WhatsApp +39 345.85.80.496 - Phone +39 320.42.65.001
Useful information Airport assistance Useful videos
Privacy policy Request for service Passport delivery service

Information for travellers


For the issuance of an identity card 2/3 passport-size photographs and a valid identification document are required. The applicant must be at least 15 years old, (For minors an authorization from both parents is required). Minors who are under 15 years are issued a certificate of identity, equivalent to the identity card, by the Police Headquarters serving the applicant’s place of residence. However, as this document may not be accepted for entry into some States, we recommend that you always check with the Consular Offices of the Country of destination for any foreign entry requirement.

If a minor is travelling with only one parent or with another person, the child custody paper containing personal details of both the minor and the person accompanying him must always be requested to the competent Police Headquarters.


For minors with separated or divorced parents, the Tutelary Judge’s authorization is always required.


The International driving permit is a document containing the details of the Italian driving permit. It shall be valid for 1 year and issued on request by the Prefecture (the Government Territorial Office) of residence or the A.C.I.’s (the Italian Automobile Association) Offices.

THE SCHENGEN AGREEMENT: (Dated October 26th, 1997):

It has been adopted by Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Greece, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Iceland. For member States’ citizens there are no customs barriers so, to travel within these countries, an ID card is sufficient (even if it is not valid for travelling abroad).

Foreign citizens who reside in any of the Countries which are parties to the Treaty (provided that their residence permit complies with all legal requirements) are allowed to move freely within such countries only if they hold the following documents:

  • Original passport having a minimum validity of 6 months or travel document.
  • Original residence permit having a minimum validity of 3/6 months (from the date of departure from the Country).
  • Original travel document that provides proof of the onward journey to the Country of departure or the return to the State of residence. For land travels you may also be required (at the discretion of the Local Authorities) to provide proof that you have sufficient means of subsistence, both for the duration of your stay in the Country of destination and for the return to your Country of origin or residence.


Under the Washington “CITES” Convention, in force from June 2nd, 1997 importing souvenirs made from protected animals as well as importing living animals, even if they are legally bought in the country of origin, to Italy, may cost a fine up to 150,000,000 €.

If you are found carrying one of these "Souvenirs", you may be fined up to 500 €. If the unreported "Souvenir" is covered by import prohibition, besides paying a fine, you may also be prosecuted for Smuggling (art. 282).



The health card is a personal document certifying the citizen’s registration with the Italian National Health Service (SSN). The health card is issued by the ASL (Local Health Authority) you are assigned to, immediately, free of charge and may be requested at any time.

If you want to ask for a health card you will need:

  • a copy of the tax code
  • the certificate of residence (you can also produce a self-declaration).
  • a copy of the residence permit, in the case of a foreign applicant, or a document proving the submission of your request, to be presented to the police headquarters

For the registration of newborns, one of the parents must bring along both the birth certificate printed on plain paper and the tax code. For the registration of new residents from other municipalities which are already registered with the National Health Service you must submit a certificate of residence, a copy of the tax code, the card provided by the ASL you are assigned to and your general practitioner’s name.

In the event of loss, deterioration or theft of the health card, you may ask the ASL office for a duplicate to be issued.

In the event of allergies, an International Exemption Certificate may be issued upon request.


Guidance on some vaccinations or prophylaxis which are not included on the list of the reported Countries, can be found on the W.H.O. website. However, where a certain amount of risk exists, particularly in Africa and Central South America, the main categories such as Typhoid, Paratyphoid, Salmonella, Shigellosis will be included. Vaccines become active after 15 days from their administration and generally last for 2 years.


All areas are highly endemic, with the exception of Western Europe, U.S.A., Canada, Australia, Japan, New Zealand.


The highly endemic areas are: Africa, Southeast Asia, Middle East (Israel excluded), the Pacific’s islands, Amazonia and some Caribbean States (Haiti, Dominican Republic, Belize etc.).

The vaccine becomes active only after its third administration, which must start 6 months early and lasts for 2 years.


Vaccination against tetanus is recommended in any case and for any area, in particular for the Tropics and the Equatorial regions. A proper use of the means of personal protection constitutes the first and probably the most important step against insect-borne diseases. Some of the most effective means include: skin repellents, proper clothing (light-coloured, legs and arms protected and covered with repellent).